9.14.2018

Top 10 Places We Forget To Clean


I used to consider myself a major clean freak until Grayson came into the picture. I have been dethroned from that title. I'm now just a mom who cleans when she can. Balancing being a mother full-time, on top of cooking the majority of the week, all while trying to fit in some side hustle work- it's hard to think about every nook and cranny I have to clean. I will say I vacuum on the daily and that's because crumbs are inevitable with Grayson. But man, the days I was devoting towards deep cleaning, I was forgetting so many places that are important for the cleanliness of our house. So, I figured why not share my top 10 places I forget to clean. 

1. Tops of Kitchen Cabinets I probably hadn't deep cleaned my kitchen cabinets for 8 months. It wasn't a priority and honestly, I forgot. So, now I set up a 3-month reminder on my phone. The way I cleaned them was using a Cuban mop and kitchen size towel. The mop is the perfect length to reach the top with/without a ladder and the kitchen size towel gets the entire tops in one swoop. I did a mixture of hot water and white vinegar to dunk the towel in and it helped remove any grime and dust.

2. Kitchen Cabinet & Drawers So, the outside of the kitchen cabinets you might be cleaning since if you're warming up tomato sauce, you know how that splatters everywhere. But, I realized I wasn't cleaning the inside as much as I should have. Each of my cabinets is lined with a rubber liner whether I have dry or wet items because you just never know. It's also easy to just wipe down. But, something I kept forgetting to clean was the inside of the cabinet doors. I had found sticky residue and spots (especially in the one that holds our trashcan). I used my magic eraser on mostly the fronts of the doors and if something was sticky I used a cleaning spray. I like to use a natural cleaning spray especially when cleaning close to our foods. 

3. Curtains It can be as easy as throwing them into the wash (for most curtains), but it's something I put on the back burner often. When I'm lazy I usually use a lint roller to pick up as much dust as possible, especially on the top and leave as is. But, you really should get your vacuum out and use the brush to pick up all the dust. Curtains are such big dust collectors! If anyone in your house suffers from asthma you have to clean your curtains at least every 3-6 months. 

4. Door Frames Maybe because I'm short I forgot this one, but I saw a rim of dust on the top of our bathroom door frame and freaked! All that takes is using your Swiffer duster and finishing it with a swipe of a wet towel with warm water and vinegar. 

5. Sliding Door Slots I'm sure this is something you don't clean that often. Ever since Grayson came into the picture, this is more of a priority because he literally puts his hands into everything and those slots can get gross. All that takes is getting your vacuum and using the suction piece to get all the nitty gritty out. Then spray with your cleaning spray and pick up any leftovers with a towel. 

6. Under Playmats A lint roller is my best friend when it comes to cleaning under these play mats. When I use a vacuum it doesn't seem to pick up anything and it actually adds more lint and dirt. So, with a lint roller, you can go at it a couple times to pick up everything and then use your cleaning spray to finish it off. 

7. Under Rugs No matter how good your vacuum is, it's not going to get what's under your rug. I always suggest rolling the rugs up in sections and vacuuming. I also suggest you mop after you vacuum to pick up any dirt residue. 

8. Trashcans It doesn't matter if you're throwing away the garbage twice a week, your trash cans still get dirty. It's good to clean your trash cans once a month or as often as you think. Sometimes odors stay put in your trashcans because there is sticky residue. My solution after deep cleaning my trash cans is to make sure I properly line the cans. I bought little liners for the bathroom and they have become a lifesaver. I hate added waste, so I try to just throw away the trash alone vs the liner all together. 

9. Houseplants Faux or Real your houseplants can get dusty. Our faux Fiddle Leaf Tree in our bedroom is a dust collector. And I clean it every other week since Alex and dust are not friends. I use a blow dryer on low to get the dust off and use a damp cloth to wipe away any remaining dust. Walla 

10. Bins I know us mamas have a lot of bins around the house, but do you clean them often? Our bin in the family room gets little debris and dust often, so I make it habit to clean it. I dump the bin upside down in our sink and rinse it with warm water and soap. 

If you're remembering to clean all these places, kudos to you. If there's a place you feel people forget to clean, share away! I really enjoy cleaning, it's just making the time to clean the way I like that's difficult. Don't forget to set your phone up with reminders of places you forget to clean- we need all the help we can get. 

Xo, 
Adrianna 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!